Trace(s): The Royal Vancouver Yacht Club
1903: A modest start for a posh icon, the Royal Vancouver Yacht Club leases its first headquarters in the Vancouver Rowing Club’s dinghy house
The Royal Vancouver Yacht Club (RVYC) had racing in its DNA from the get-go. It started as the Vancouver Yacht Club in 1903, renting a cabin at the foot of Thurlow St. as its first clubhouse. The fleet boasted only 18 vessels, but Its first commodore, Walter Graveley, was a racer of stout heart and renown; a contender in the 1876 America’s Cup. A short time later, the members built a roomier, floating HQ, moored near Bute St., then towed it to Deadman’s Island in 1905. In 1906, the club was permitted to add the “Royal” prefix.
From the City of Vancouver Archives
Written by: John Wellwood
Researched and Edited by: John Wellwood and Todd Smith
Visual Design: Todd Smith
Voice Over: Todd Smith